Detroit is arrogant

by The Cavalier on April 12, 2006 · 18 comments

Cattle Drive.jpg

We were going to refrain from discussing the Cavs-Pistons game tonight, both because we realize we’ve been a little LeBron/Cavs heavy lately, and also because we wanted to avoid the whole sticking the foot in the mouth scenario we can be prone to.

However, with our computer troubles (we’ve just been informed) now extended past today, we’re kind of at a loss. Much like cell phones have caused us to not know anyone’s phone number, FeedDemon has caused us to not know any URLs.

We did track down the Detroit Free Press, as we wanted to see how the locals were looking at tonight’s game, which is admittedly a bigger deal for Cleveland than for Detroit. We didn’t expect such harshness in what we found.

For the Cavaliers, who come to the Palace tonight, the biggest thrill has been met. More than anything, they just wanted to make the postseason.

Sure, they’d love to win a series or two, but after missing the playoffs since 1998, the owners of the East’s fourth seed can already call this season a success.

This isn’t March Madness, where a wide-eyed team can spoil it for a heavyweight in one magical game. This is a grind. This is the best of seven.

If Krista Latham wasn’t such a hot name, we’d probably have a thing or two to say about this, other than “Hey Krista – the Cavaliers are a professional basketball team, not a group of seventh-graders thrown together to be blessed by the presence of Detroit basketball.”

Since it is a hot name, we won’t say what we really want to, which is “Hey Krista – that wasn’t very nice, you mean person who is not being nice.” Harshness to counter harshness.

What you want to know is who’s going to win tonight, yes? We can’t tell you that, because our future-prediction-thing is on the other computer, with our Photoshop and everything else that makes this site readable.

(Cavs will win tonight – everyone watch on ESPN, then come and remind us that we were right.)

1 Brandon Dean Price April 12, 2006 at 12:28 pm
2 JONESONTHENBA April 12, 2006 at 12:29 pm

Setting yourself up for failure here??? But at least if they lose the egg in the face won’t be as bad as with the Knicks loss. Bragging about how the Cavs were going to mop the floor with the Knicks surely didn’t help. Go Cavs!

3 The Cavalier April 12, 2006 at 12:31 pm

We actually have played Detroit well the past couple years. We match up good with them, outside of Billups. But we can stick Hughes there when Snow starts having trouble.

Should be a good game.

4 FLYER April 12, 2006 at 12:55 pm

Google image search for Krista Latham. You be the judge on the proper way to respond to her article.

5 Need4Sheed April 12, 2006 at 1:39 pm

Don’t lump us all in there Cavalier, I still love your boy Bron, and I like when he comes into the Palace and plays. I root for the Cavs as long as they are not playing the Pistons and I like your team. I’m exited to go to tonights game I am sure it will be a good one but if you call those comments harsh get ready for the TNT bunch if your team is on the verge of going fishing or God help you if you have to go through a night of Bill Walton bashing and then we will talk. Good Luck in the post season.

6 Ian Cameron April 12, 2006 at 2:18 pm

Umm…

Don’t get me wrong, the Cavs have a great little team going on over there. But I’m going by the “even the greats must first experience playoff failure” pattern that has played out over and over again.

It’s science…

7 The Cavalier April 12, 2006 at 2:18 pm

Aww, you guys know that The Cavalier is just a character I play, right? I’m actually a big hockey fan.

Go Islanders!

8 Brandon Dean Price April 12, 2006 at 2:19 pm

Is it sports ethical to root for a different team than your favorite if they’re in your team’s division? For instance, I love the kings, but I think i’m having an affair with the suns… is this a problem?

9 The Cavalier April 12, 2006 at 2:21 pm

I don’t do it, but I was a Clevelander for the first 25 years of my life, so my loyalties are pretty well ingrained.

Lots of factors play into that one.

Ian, I agree – I don’t think the Cavs can get past Detroit this year in the playoffs, but I think they’ll be very competitive, barring injury.

10 LUCAS April 12, 2006 at 2:54 pm

I too was a Clevelander for 22 years but have since moved to Phoenix. The Cavs have sucked ass most of my life so i could never get into them. I am a Suns fan #1 and now a Cavs fan #2. I love talking shit to my C-town friends during the Suns-Cavs games, otherwise i root for the King and his jesters.

11 Detroit Chris M April 12, 2006 at 4:30 pm

I take the rooting for teams in same division to an extreme: I’m a lifelong Piston fan, but enjoy rooting for the Pacers whenever they’re not playing Detroit. I also enjoy the smell of leather. Seriously though, I enjoy rooting for teams that display a certain work ethic, and both Indy and the Pistons (Carlisle effect?) are great to watch. Just like with NCAA basketball; I’m an MSU & Izzone alum, but always root for Big Ten teams in the tourney (not a good year).

12 Brandon Dean Price April 12, 2006 at 5:29 pm

Dude, Indiana is probably top 3 most boring teams in the all of the NBA for however long carslile has been there… not counting the occasional smashed tv by artest

13 LeBlog April 12, 2006 at 5:58 pm

Lucas – you are all that is wrong with this world..

14 LUCAS April 12, 2006 at 6:32 pm

Give me a break, the only thing going for the cavs is Lebron… bad supporting cast, bad coach, bad weather. I like to watch teams that have a quality organization from the the team to the ownership.

15 Detroit Chris M April 12, 2006 at 6:44 pm

This year yeah, they’re tough to watch, but not the last two years. Carlisle should have gotten more Coach of the Year attention last year getting the team as far as he did.

16 Julie April 13, 2006 at 12:01 am

So, is this the part where you eat crow? Just checking.

17 Detroit Chris M April 13, 2006 at 12:29 am

Hey, Cavs didn’t look too bad. Heck, they might even take a game or two from the Wizards. Especially that Vare-HO guy; plays with such zest!

18 shawns April 13, 2006 at 7:52 am

good thing you haven’t seen krista latham, you’d think differently