LeBron James is taking a Shot

by The Cavalier on May 21, 2006 · 50 comments

Watch this real quick, and then meet us down below.

You’re probably wondering why we’re showing something that caused a two week period of severe depression in a younger version of us. (That’s a long time for a kid with no other problems.)

To answer that question, we direct you to this post from our friends at Detroit Bad Boys titled “This is LBJ’s 1989″. It’s from last week – here’s the important part.

This is LeBron James’ coming out party. He is taking his game to the next level. He will be the next great superstar for at least the next decade, if not two.

But this is LBJ’s 1989. And that season ended pretty nicely for the Pistons the first time around.

What they’ve forgotten is the other thing that happened in 1989 before MJ lost to those Pistons – the thing you just watched up there. What’s significant about The Shot today?

The Cavs had gone 6-0 against the Bulls that year, dominating them during the regular season. While Michael was destined for greatness, he wasn’t “Michael” yet, and Chicago wasn’t favored to win. Remember, this was back when Magic Johnson had already dubbed the Cavs the “team of the ’90s” – their future was all but guaransheed.

The series was rougher than expected, though. In fact, the Cavs had to win Game 4 on the road to force a Game 5 back home. Who were these Bulls? MJ was gonna put up numbers, sure – but this team was supposed to roll over like they did all year for Mark Price’s troops. Sound familiar yet?

See…in reality, these Pistons might be LeBron’s Cavs, and if it’s 1989, his Pistons might actually be the Heat, who have his Larry Bird, but only if he’s gonna be part Magic Johnson, which make some sense, since he’s like Magic and Michael combined skill-wise. It’s not a perfect analogy, nor can you understand it in under five reads. Whatever – they brought it up, albeit perhaps from the incorrect angle. (Who gets to be LeBron’s Craig Ehlo, btw?)

Everyone said LeBron would get Cleveland one game just by virtue of having one of those completely dominant games.

He ain’t gotten that one yet, and with the way these games have gone, he’ll be all set up to create an iconic moment for some kid in Detroit to anguish over for the next two weeks. (Not that that particular kid doesn’t have enough problems on the horizon.)

In the final leg of preparation, let’s dive into the razor thin deep, storied Cavalier history and get prepared with a little musical inspiration.

Start by getting all funked out to Come On Cavs. Next, relive the early 90s Cavaliers with some Tonight’s the Night!

Then, when it’s all over, let’s go enjoy the gift of becoming Witness to LeBron v Wade I.

lebron dance.png

(Special Note to YAYsports! readers: We’re totally going to come back later and erase this shit if we blow the called shot for the second game in a row. Just so you know.)

Would’ve been nice if someone else had shown up on the offensive end today. Detroit smothered LBJ in the second half.

{ 2 trackbacks }

YAYsports! NBA - Your source for no NBA news
May 22, 2006 at 12:45 am
YAYsports! NBA - Your source for no NBA news
May 22, 2006 at 1:17 am

1 farlane May 21, 2006 at 9:26 am

Your boy LeBron is the scariest thing I’ve seen since that Al Gore Global Warming movie trailer.

My Pistons are the most dominant team in many a season.

Tonight is all about who brings the will — It’s gonna be BANANAS baby!!

2 The Cavalier May 21, 2006 at 9:41 am

Dude I saw the whole Gore film a couple weeks ago – it’s scary as hell, and I’m not one who cares about anything like that.

Something needs to be done, and it all starts with watching Cavs-Pistons today.

3 The Cavalier May 21, 2006 at 10:02 am

I like this quote.

“I hadn’t been in Game 1s or Game 2s or Game 3s or 5s or 6s until this year, and I think I handled myself the right way,” James said.

4 The Tarheel May 21, 2006 at 10:53 am

Don’t worry, kids. I have the Cav’s password. If he unpublishes the post, I’ll log in and repost it. This could potentially go on for weeks.

5 TVBrain May 21, 2006 at 10:58 am

The Cleveland Cavaliers have never lost a game seven in their 36 year history. They are undefeated in game sevens.
(P.S. Thank you for the C’mon Cavs link. To most of your readers, it’s a cheesy bit of kitsch. To me, at 39, it’s fantastic part of my childhood. C’mon Cavs, gotta make it happen.)

6 goblu43 May 21, 2006 at 12:04 pm

Yeah and the Pistons had never lost a game that was gaurensheed before either.

Besides haven’t the Cav’s only played in 2 game 7′s

7 jonesonthenba May 21, 2006 at 1:05 pm

I think the way this game is being hyped,we might all be getting set up for a let down. But then again, maybe not.

Magic was not totally off in projecting the Cavs as the team of the 90s. The Cavs would have been the team of the 90s if not for three things:

1) Trading Ron Harper for Danny Fucking Ferry!

2) The Injuries to Brad Daugherty

3) The Presence of one Michael Jordan

The Cavs should have been there to win the championship in 94 and 95 when MJ was out of the league, but with no Daugherty and a roster that had Danny Ferry, they had no chance.

8 coach May 21, 2006 at 1:30 pm

lebron james is today’s mj.

rasheed is brad d.
billups is mark price
prince is craig ehlo
sanders is the second coming of lenny wilkens

detroit is definitely the cavs of yesteryears !

9 jonesonthenba May 21, 2006 at 1:41 pm

LeBron is NOT Michael Jordan. He is more like Magic Johnson and Oscar Robinson than anything. Just a more athletic version. There games are exactly the same. MJ (in his early years) was a scorer and a defender, plain and simple. Much like Magic and the Big O, LeBron is a Triple-Double waiting to happen. Kobe and Wade are more MJ like.

10 Dan Panorama May 21, 2006 at 2:13 pm

Holy crap I just checked out Ron Harper’s career stats (only knew his MJ years when he was good for single digits). You traded him for who???

At least you got a GM out of it.

11 coach May 21, 2006 at 2:19 pm

lbj is more like mj in his ability to take over a game.
he is like mj in his ability to impose his will on the game.
the big ‘o’ won a championship with alcindor on his side . magic with worthy and jabbar on his side.
that’s why lebron is like mj.

12 The Cavalier May 21, 2006 at 2:54 pm

This thread is kinda why LeBron may really be the first LeBron. He’s got the take-over ability and charisma of superstars past, but a skill set that’s fairly unique to him.

Is it bad I just have these Cavs songs playing on a continuous loop for like the last half hour?

13 The Cavalier May 21, 2006 at 3:12 pm

Yeah people forget that Ron Harper was one of the best young shooting guards in the NBA when he was with Cleveland.

He blew out his knee with the Clippers and was never the same again.

14 The Festiva May 21, 2006 at 3:16 pm

I agree. It’s like somebody took Jordan, Dr. J, barkley and magic and smooshed em together. Jordan wasn’t this big and tall, Dr. J wasn’t this big, barkley wasn’t that tall or fast, and magic wasn’t that fast or a riduculous leaper. Seriously, did Nike engineer him?

The more important question I think is if Mark Jackson on the pregame show is the next “Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone.”

15 Charlie May 21, 2006 at 4:37 pm

Has anyone ever shot freethrows as ugly as Big Ben? It’s so bad it makes me wish I could watch Shaq back in the day.

16 jonesonthenba May 21, 2006 at 5:53 pm

I guarantee that Bron Bron won’t get half the heat Kobe got after his disappointing game 7 performance. Check his first half v. his second half. Did he give up on his team??? No, but if he was wearing number 8 everyone would be saying that. What’s Bron have in the second half? 3 points on 1-8.

17 The Cavalier May 21, 2006 at 5:59 pm

Yeah but he’s been shut down by the Pistons. He’s trying, he just can’t get any open shots. They’re just putting an extra defender shadowing hime out there 25 feet away from the bucket.

It doesn’t help that the rest of team didn’t bother to make anything.

And sorry, but that DEEEETRIOT BAAAASKETBALL chant is gay.

And ABC – no reason to replay all the Shot/Fumble, etc. This isn’t that – we were supposed to win all those you dumbasses.

Piss.

18 Witness May 21, 2006 at 6:07 pm

“We are all witnessess, to the CAVS loss that is”

It was the Pistons vs LeBron James. Last time I checked, basketball was still a team game. Nothing to be taken against LeBron but his teammates F’d it up pretty good today.

(Over at Miami……)
Pat Riley: DAMN IT! I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO A EASTERN CONFERENCE FINALS SWEEP!! *$#*@!$

19 Michael May 21, 2006 at 6:08 pm

With less than two minutes left in the Cavs season, we are all witnesses. LeBron grew a lot in this series and Mike Brown proved himself a good playoff coach. Still, it’s no match for Dee-troit basketball (which is not gay – it works on two levels declaring that the ball belongs to Detroit and that we are going to play Detroit-style basketball. Clever, no?). It’s team play. When one guy doesn’t step up, another one does in his place. A team without a superstar and instead 7 solid players will always trump a team built around one player.

You have to feel for the heartbreak of Cleveland. Still, it wouldn’t be such a heartbreak if the Pistons hadn’t melt down in Game 3-5. Some credit is due to the Cavs for that, but it was also incredibly uncharacteristic of the Pistons, their consistency and their chemistry.

Witness it Cleveland. You will always have to go through Detroit and even with LeBron, you’ll need a team effort to see the conference finals. Enjoy fishin’! Good series.

20 jonesonthenba May 21, 2006 at 6:11 pm

Cav,

That is exactly what happend to Kobe in game 7. His team did not show up and they were doubling him. For the sake of the league, Kupchack and Ferry need to get on it and surround those two with some decent players. People that can hit shots and won’t fold in game 7s when they double team Bron or Kobe. Both my favorite guys are gone now, so although I am going to watch the rest of the playoffs, I won’t be as into it as I have been up to this point.

21 Cavs can lick my balls! May 21, 2006 at 6:11 pm

I just witnessed Bron-Bron playing like an old woman!

Don’t worry Cavs fans, maybe Nike will come up with a new marketing plan next year that base your identities on!

Buh bye, Bron-Bron!

22 Brandon Dean Price May 21, 2006 at 6:14 pm

the pistons announcer should not be allowed to introdue a player for 35 seconds every time one subs in. When did this turn into AND 1?

23 bron-bron goes bye bye! May 21, 2006 at 6:14 pm

Put Bron-Bron’s photo on a milk carton!

24 jonesonthenba May 21, 2006 at 6:15 pm

You mean you don’t like it when he says: “Chauncey Buh-buh-buh-Billups”

25 cavs = strawberry douche May 21, 2006 at 6:16 pm

I’d say wait till next year Cavs fans, but you’ll be no better then, either.

Lick my balls!

26 cleveland fans take it in the ass again May 21, 2006 at 6:20 pm

Don’t worry cleveland, you’ve still got…

Ummm, help me out here.

27 The Cavalier May 21, 2006 at 6:20 pm

Well, at least things can get a little less tense and serious around here again.

I might even ask that “Cavs Can Lick My Balls” guy to become a guest writer.

28 The Cavalier May 21, 2006 at 6:24 pm

Jake the Dancing Kid, is that you?

I’m looking at your ip right now – you’ve got one more before I block you, so make it a good one.

29 Greg May 21, 2006 at 6:27 pm

What I love about this game, is that everyone is going to talk about what a great job LeBron did, and how his teammates failed him.

Here’s one for you – if you’re going to let LeBron take the ball at the top of the key every time down the floor, it would help if you had more plays than “LeBron tries to get an iso” or “Varajao tries to run a screen.”

Literally any set half court play would have helped. LeBron is getting no coaching, and it’s going to ruin him if nobody teaches him anything. Kobe has a ton of natural talent, but I think we’d all agree LBJ being Kobe II might not be the best thing.

30 The Cavalier May 21, 2006 at 6:29 pm

Yeah they desperately need someone to essentially become an offensive coordinator.

They run no plays whatsoever and nobody moves without the ball.

31 Goo May 21, 2006 at 6:38 pm

Hey, for all the knocking of the offense — a little rebounding would be nice also. Just saying.

32 Feruw May 21, 2006 at 6:45 pm

Look out for LeBron’s iconic moment. You can probably witness it on a golf course near you, coming soon.

33 The Cavalier May 21, 2006 at 6:47 pm

We outrebounded them for the whole series pretty much up until minute 11 of quarter 4 of game 6.

I think they have to sign-and-trade Gooden for a young, quality PG. Combine that with some “Varejao in the weight room” and they’re much improved.

Don’t scream, but I’d take a look at Sebastian Telfair.

34 Morrow May 21, 2006 at 6:54 pm

BIG BAD WOLF CAME FOR THREE LITTLE PIGS!!! DEEETTRROOOIIITTT BASKETBALL! witness that hahahahahaha

35 chris May 21, 2006 at 7:10 pm

Lebron is crazy good, no worries. It’ll happen. At least you made the playoffs, Sixers didn’t even make it.

36 The Enforcer May 21, 2006 at 7:12 pm

Well it’s good to see the intelligence level has come down a bit…….I can tell you one thing though, I was a witness to watching multiple detroit fans crapping their pants after game 5. It’s been a heck of a ride, now we wait and see what happens in the offseason….

37 The Festiva May 21, 2006 at 7:35 pm

To be honest, this is probably good. I like detroit, I like their chances against every other team left better than the cavs chances. Sure, bron vs. wade would have been great, but overall, detroit should be in the eastern conference finals cuz they are the best team in the east.

Also, from the beginning of the game, the cavs didn’t seem to understand the seriousness of the dealie. Did you see how bron didn’t go after that first defensive rebound that tayshaun hustled and put back? You didn’t see Z not hustling cuz he’s been there before. Now that I’ve been adult about this, Stupid jerk refs and stupid jerk stern and stupid kobe. This was all his fault! I’m taking my ball and going home. jerks.

38 TVBrain May 21, 2006 at 8:00 pm

I hate to keep being a pessimist, but what makes everyone so sure LeBron is destined for Rings? I’m sure T’Wolves fans felt the same way a few years ago when KJ came into his own. It’s up to Danny Ferry to make it so. Just how many pieces can he add this year? Next year?
Yes, I’m angry and upset. We could’ve finished this in 6 games and we didn’t. I’m tired.

39 farlane May 21, 2006 at 9:54 pm

The Cavs certainly brought it. I thought they played with class and heart.

Save the venom for Miami and ‘Toine. I have a feeling that series is gonna be a war.

I totally agree with your assesment that the Cavs need an offense. “Try and create something ‘Bron” works great until some brings both barrels on defense.

40 Griffin May 21, 2006 at 10:34 pm

I see many of my fellow Piston fans have decided to follow Rasheed’s mouth’s example. Real classy gents, especially in victory.

As for the series, Cleveland exceeded expectations and also may have revealed the formula for beating the Pistons. Zone defense always gives us fits, and the Cavs ran it relentlessly (although I maintain Big Z was pretty much standing in the paint the entire time; luckily the Pistons realized today that Z’s ‘double-team’ is just for looks). Also, the Cavs crashed the offensive glass successfully. So add zone and offensive rebounds to LeBron and his amazing attack (and generous whistle. admit it.) and you have a blueprint as to how to beat Detroit.

It was a memorable series to be sure, and I think there’s a good chance Detroit will fall to Miami due to the emotional & psychological trauma caused by Cleveland.

However, I wish one thing about Cleveland would change. Dan Gilbert has sampled too many ideas from the Palace and inserted them into The Q. The pregame flames are exactly like the Pistons’ pregame. The PA announcer sounds like Mason, especially with the “Cavs ball” declarations. And – although I have no way to enforce this – “The Final Countdown” should only be played in the Palace.

AND ringing the bell when Ben misses a free-throw is lowbrow. Almost as low as some Detroit fans who’ve posted on this thread.

41 griffin is a faggot! May 21, 2006 at 11:44 pm

Hey Griffin,

You’re a faggot!

Faggot fans like you are the reason it took the Pistons seven games.

Fag!

42 The Cavalier May 21, 2006 at 11:49 pm

Hey dude – see ya – congrats on being the first person blocked from reading this site.

I warned you – hope it was worth it.

43 Julius November 22, 2006 at 2:30 am

Stretch your legs according to the coverlet… Julius

44 Julius November 22, 2006 at 2:30 am

Stretch your legs according to the coverlet… Julius

45 Adlard November 22, 2006 at 3:12 am

Fools may sometimes speak to the purpose… Adlard

46 Osmund November 30, 2006 at 6:53 am