The Indiana Pacers are dancing in the back

by The Cavalier on May 5, 2006 · 7 comments

jermaine o'neal 001.pngWe’re sure it was fun for Indiana Pacer fans (We’ve never actually met one of those – odd, no?) to live the fantasy that they might beat the Nets for awhile, but the less disfunctional team won out in the end.

The Pacers got done in by the New Jersey 4-2 and the natural reaction in Indianapolis after all that’s happened is to go back to the pre-playoff assumption – blow it up, Mr. Bird. Blow it up.

“I think the culture has to change,” Anthony Johnson said plainly after the Pacers’ 96-90 loss ended their season. “Sometimes there’s a lack of professionalism and a lack of understanding. We need to give more effort to the team situation and not think about individual wants and needs.”

They didn’t like each other. And this city, which seemed to regard playoff games as an imposition, didn’t like this team. In a place that loves and reveres basketball, that’s hard to do.

The alleged Alpha Male, Jermaine O’Neal, claims he’s not worried about being moved, although it sounds more like he doesn’t care if he gets moved.

Once upon a time, we said you can’t trade Jermaine O’Neal, but right now we think he’s the first guy you shop, along with Stephen Jackson, Jamal Tinsley, Fred Jones, and everyone else. See if you can do it with Rick Carlisle, Peja, and four small, white CBA point guards. Don’t have a bench, either. If nothing else you’ll be remembered.

On a more joking note, though, are there any Pacers fans here? Come out and say something. De-lurk. How do you feel today? What do you want to see happen? Where do you work? Do you like your boss, or are you your own boss? If you work for yourself, how do you think your employees would rate your bosshood? Are you liked?

When we owned our own company, we used to clean the bathroom ourselves. We may have read it in a book somewhere or something, but we thought it was a way to say “Hey, everyone. I’m willing to do the worst job in this entire organization, so have some heart, have some love, and stop asking for raises. I’ve got a fucking drug habit and it’s expensive. Jerks. Get back to work. I hate you all.”

It’s about team.

1 J.E. Skeets May 5, 2006 at 9:59 am

Pacers fans do not exist. Same goes for Memphis.

2 Exodus May 5, 2006 at 10:00 am

I think the minute that Reggie left, so did all the fans. But that’s just my opinion.

3 The Cavalier May 5, 2006 at 12:49 pm

Memphis fans always think they’re going to a concert and they get really subdued when a basketball game breaks out.

4 Exodus May 5, 2006 at 12:58 pm

I’d be willing to bet that they had more fans when they were in Canada then when they came to Memphis. At least in Canada, some people might show up to the game thinking it’s a hockey game or something. In Memphis, they’d rather watch a rodeo instead of anything else.

5 Proverbial May 5, 2006 at 3:38 pm

I can’t even remember how many boners Rik Smits used to give me…

6 Chase May 7, 2006 at 12:37 pm

I am actually a big Pacers fan, and I think the Pacers have to do everything possible to try and get Kevin Garnett. They could offer J.O and Stephen Jackson. Plus whatever else it takes……Oh and on how I feel they wasn’t going to to the finals even if they bribed Miami and got fans to throw cups at beer at the Detroit Pistons starting 5…just to see what they would do….

7 Randy June 15, 2006 at 10:55 pm

The Pacers definitely need to make some changes. They have alot of Potentially talented players, but not alot of tough people like Ben Wallace or Ron Artest. They certainly lack a real team leader who has the physical abilities to take over a game.

Realistically the Pacers should keep Jermaine and try to go after a couple of real defensive players the likes of Ben Wallace and a top notch scoring forward, who can come out and play both ends of the floor.

Although Tinsley has alot of talent and skills, he doesn’t display the ability to stay healthy, but he could become quite good if he could develop more intensity.

My point is keep Foster, O’Neal, Johnson and trade some very good players to get a real team leading scorer and more strength underneath.

Guess What After I wrote all this I don’t have the slightest idea whatsoever will work, but one thing for sure the Pacers still have Larry Bird, Donny Walsh and the Simons to come up with a strategy to win–and odds are they will.