Ben Wallace is in Chicago

by The Cavalier on November 28, 2006 · 25 comments

The drama of Ben Wallace’s headwear continues tonight in Chicago, as the Bulls return home to play the Knicks.

Ben himself hasn’t spoken as of yet, and nobody knows what he’ll do/wear tonight, but yesterday GM John Paxson got his say in on the matter.

He’s obviously taking the Skiles side of things, which isn’t a huge surprise – word is there may be a fine coming.

When a coach comes out and makes an important declaration like “no headbands”, people listen.

“We have to address this now, and we’ve started that process,” Paxson said. “Our relationship is fairly new. But Ben doesn’t strike me as a guy that wants to disrupt what a team is all about. He’s been a part of too many good teams that have played together.

“We have to be a little careful in terms of changing something for one player at this time. If I knew this was going to be an issue a month or two ago and Ben had expressed that to us, that might’ve been a way to handle it. Right now, we’re in a tough position. We have the rule for the right reasons.”

“He’s still a guy that we are totally counting on. We want him to get acclimated and comfortable and playing at a high level. Obviously, we still think he can do that.”

That last few sentences implies that at some point, the Bulls might not think Ben can still do that.

But what happens then? With what’s happened, the way he’s played, and that contract, it’s gonna be hard to move him, unless maybe DET wants him back.

Speaking of the Pistons, Ben’s first trip back to the Palace isn’t until January. Should be interesting to see what happens – we expect lots of boos and even more signs about grass being greener, etc.

Of course, by then Ben could be playing in Europe or permanently suspended, or even playing in South America. Japan has a basketball league, and he could play there. Or in the National Madagascar Basketball Thing.

Wherever he ends up, he’s sure to not be getting rebounds.

NOTE: Amazing – the lack of any emphasis (from us) on the Stabury-Zeke thing, who NYC writers are calling pointless.

NOTE 2: CHI home crowd will not know how to react to anything regarding this, and thus…complete zero decibel silence.

1 Boney November 28, 2006 at 11:59 am

I wish the Cavs had a no headband rule.. LeTravel looks ridiculous with it on. He hasn’t been playing hard enough lately to sweat that much….

and that makes The Cavalier angry.

2 Wish November 28, 2006 at 12:25 pm

I’m not going to write about LePussy or Headbandache here, I do enough of that on my site. What I am going to talk about is this…As I watched the Bulls/Knicks game the other night the Bulls announcers gave Sitbury the ‘Longest Pout in the History of the World’ Award. No kidding, he sat there the whole second half like my little sister used to when I kicked her in the kidneys. So sad…

3 Karl November 28, 2006 at 12:34 pm

first the pistons will get back ben, then larry brown, then fire millen, then win championships

4 Matt W. November 28, 2006 at 1:59 pm

Honestly, I’ll be shocked if Ben gets booed when he returns to Detroit.

5 Wish November 28, 2006 at 2:01 pm

Honestly, I’ll be shocked if Ben doesn’t get booed when he returns to Chicago.

6 Wanna-Be Roundie Henchman November 28, 2006 at 2:08 pm

“Ben doesn’t strike me as a guy that wants to disrupt what a team is all about.”

“And nothing is more diametrically opposed to our fundamental team ideology than the disruptive presence of… headbands.”

7 The Cavalier November 28, 2006 at 2:19 pm

What if it’s so bad by the time he goes back to DET that the Pistons fans feel sorry for him?

8 Wish November 28, 2006 at 2:47 pm

At the rate Big Ben is going (He didn’t say I’m sorry today..http://www.chicagosports.com) he’ll be jumping in the stands when they go to Detroit. Not to go after fans, but to get away from Skiles

9 FIOS November 28, 2006 at 3:08 pm

10 wins for the Mavs
No sign of Tony Parker
Il est très triste, oui?

10 Zeus November 28, 2006 at 4:28 pm

The Bulls fans will cheer – when the noise meter comes up on the screen.

11 DARRYL HOWERTON November 28, 2006 at 5:00 pm

This whole headband thing reminds me of that ESPN The Magazine commercial where both sides (team and player) are haggling over an ESPN fleece sweatshirt. Art imitating life.

12 Feruw November 28, 2006 at 5:45 pm

This issue is ridiculous. Ben has been wearing a headband through most of his career. You can go through picture after picture in the Pistons website for previous seasons to see it.

As the Bulls have begun collapsing losing 7 of 10, is this issue really the best thing to try and ‘kick the team into gear.’ I know Skiles doesn’t want to lose control, but let Ben be Ben.

Or pay 40% of his contract for the next 4 years and send him back to be a 7th man on the Pistons.

13 Tony Parker November 28, 2006 at 6:42 pm

10 wins for the Mavs. Congratulations Madaam. How many of those were against teams above .500? Yeah I think we know where this is going. Your team still hasn’t proven anything. Plus, any team with a Center even my grandmother can score….well… can’t be good in the long run. Maybe you can trade Dampier for another stiff in Clipper land (i’ll let you speculate).

14 FIOS November 28, 2006 at 6:59 pm

Actually, I am first and foremost a Cavaliers fan, the Mavericks are my second-favorite team. So the Mavericks are not MY team. But, to answer your question: six.
This, we both know, is a circular argument: you say that beat bad teams, I say they are supposed to beat bad teams. They have notched some impressive wins in the streak, including a win against YOUR Spurs. As for Dampier, I agree, his signing was a collosal mistake, HOWEVER if he can consistently put up the numbers he has thus far, the Mavs can live with that.

15 FIOS November 28, 2006 at 7:05 pm

Additionally, the ability of your grandmother to score with any team that has a center probably is not something to boast about, though the French do have a rather lax attitude toward such things. Either way, it isn’t really germane to the discussion.

16 Tony Parker November 28, 2006 at 7:06 pm

Problem is he WON’T consistently put those numbers up. Cmon, this is ERIC DAMPIER we’re talking about.

17 Tony Parker November 28, 2006 at 7:08 pm

I meant score ON…shit give me a break. Although if you didn’t put two and two together then you got bigger problems than a depressed LeBron.

18 zack k November 28, 2006 at 7:11 pm

the mavs arent about damp… damp will contribute a double double here and there plus some good defense… clutch blocks last night… its all about dirk.. and hes having his best season ever.. therefore the mavs will be fine and in the end it will once again come down to dallas, sa, and phoenix… suns fans think the suns are the best… spurs fans think the spurs are the best… mavs fans and everyone else think the mavs are the best because everyone hates the spurs except spurs fans, france and argentina.

19 Tony Parker November 28, 2006 at 7:20 pm

Everyone hates the Spurs? That can only mean one thing. The Spurs are now the Lakers of the 2000-2003 era. It’s nice to know we are put in such high regards seeing as to how all we do is play hard, win games, not whine to the media, don’t punch other players in the groin, don’t have a borderline retard as an owner, don’t boo ex players that were nothing but model citizens in the community, don’t have an owner that whines about players and sends tapes of said players to league offices out of anger, so on. Im laughing at you thinking “everyone else thinks the Mavs are the best” because you got 32 teams in this league, not 3.

20 Tony Parker November 28, 2006 at 7:23 pm

i meant 30 teams, im still in NFL mode my bad

21 JONESONTHENBA November 28, 2006 at 11:03 pm

None of you guys want to play the Lakers in the playoffs…Especially Popovich’s boys. Phil Jackson owns him…

22 zack k November 29, 2006 at 1:31 am

dont whine to the media? what about the other night after the mavs beat the spurs? the spurs players are the biggest whiners in the league… they think they should be given everything… have you never seen duncans whining face.. it happens after every play when a call goes against him… you cant miss it… put the crepes down and pay attention tp…

also stop taking everything so literal… i didnt mean that every other teams fans think the mavs are the best… im saying that people with sense… (not spurs or suns fans) think the mavs are better… if they dont then i think they are wrong… crazy huh

also i will continue to boo michael finley… he could have gone anywhere.. but he went to a rival… that is deserving of boos and a punch in the balls

23 Detroit Chris M November 29, 2006 at 1:58 am

I would boo Ben Wallace when he returns to the Palace.

I always wear a headband when I play pickup hoops.

While I repect the ever-improving Lakers, Pistons would have no trouble with them.

And just for the hell of it; Rockets are best team in Texas.

24 Detroit Chris M November 29, 2006 at 1:58 am

I would boo Ben Wallace when he returns to the Palace.

I always wear a headband when I play pickup hoops.

While I respect the ever-improving Lakers, Pistons would have no trouble with them.

And just for the hell of it; Rockets are best team in Texas.

25 adam December 1, 2006 at 2:11 pm

I’m sorry the Spurs are not afraid of the Lakers. Also Phil doesn’t own Popovich. Last time I checked in the last 7 years the Spurs have won as many championships as the Lakers; and they are poised to contend for another this year. Sorry the Lakers have no chance. Nice collapse, up 3 to 1 against the Suns, and to get destroyed in game 7! Two best teams in the NBA are SPURS and DALLAS; and right now either team can come out of the west.