Dirk Nowitzki is the MVP

by The Cavalier on January 29, 2007 · 40 comments

We’re big on like large lists of things, especially when those lists come at the midway point of the season. With The Basketball Jones doing their midseason report and ESPN doing theirs, we feel no need to do things like give Dirk a midseason MVP award.

BEST NBA BLOG: For some reason, when we open the feed-reader and see all those posts ready and waiting to be read, the first one we click on is DetroitBadBoys, so they win this one.

BEST NBA BLOG THAT DID NOT WIN “BEST NBA BLOG”: TrueHoop is always there for us. Not in a romantic way, so don’t get the wrong idea.

HARDEST WORKING NBA BLOG: The aforementioned Basketball Jones. By our count, Skeets and Tas have missed only one show since they missed their first two back at the start of the season.

BEST NBA BLOG THAT IS OFFICIALLY TOO SMART FOR US: FreeDarko – we recognize the quality, but it’s just lost us – plus we’re 55% ADD. We’ve never claimed to be intelligent, and perhaps this is the proof we’ve so long desired.

MOST ORIGINAL NBA BLOG: We’d give this to ourself, but we didn’t get WSM? out in time (And you know what? As of this morning, it’s not even close.), and thus we really haven’t evolved beyond what we were doing last year at this time. Photoshop, egomania, blah blah blah – it’s all old and boring anymore.

Therefore, we go with the Wizznutzz, who also aren’t doing anything all that different than they were last year, but still feels fresh each and every time out. They have a star worthy of their magic finally, as well. Runner-up to the DC Sports BOG, but Dan is like a real journalist, so we’re not sure if he counts. He also sent us a poster.

NBA TOPIC MOST READY FOR A BACKLASH: Obviously, Gilbert Arenas. We have a feeling the Feb 4th game against Portland is critical. If he doesn’t get his 50 or backs down from his goal beforehand, the credibility may take a hit.

OTHER ADVICE FOR GILBERT ARENAS: Be very wary of playing the “Hey, I’m just a regular guy, and this is all so swell” card for too much longer. There comes a point wherein the public will no longer accept you as a “regular guy” – that point is soon for you.

(SEE EARLY 2000s REFERENCE: Sarah Jessica Parker accepting like 12 Emmy Awards in a row with “Aw shucks, lil’ old me? I can’t believe this…” demeanor.)

Also, now that ESPN is all on you, you’re in danger of extreme overexposure – as soon as Skippy McCallister (or whoever the Sportscenter anchors are now) starts screaming “Hibachi!” 3 months too late, it’s the beginning of the end.

Now, that’s not to say you won’t be beloved by the public. You will be. But the blogosphere will be looking for their next hero already.

BEST GILBERT ARENAS BLOG THAT WE’RE CONVINCED IS ACTUALLY OVERSEEN BY GILBERT ARENAS OR HIS PR PEOPLE: Gilbertology. Just a hunch.

BEST NBA BLOG FOCUSED ON THE CHARLOTTE BOBCATS, WHICH IS WRITTEN BY A FEMALE: Bobcat Bonfire. Yeah, you know it, Serena.

BEST NBA BLOG BASED ON PAUL MILLSAP: Somebody sees a hole in the marketplace, and that person is us.

BEST NBA BLOG STORY THAT LOOKED LIKE IT HAD SO MUCH POTENTIAL AND THEN JUST KINDA DIED: Kwame vs. Cake. We’ll be honest – we called 20 different people named Alexander Martinez in the area, looking for the one who got hit by the cake. None would fess up to being that man, although we suspect one of them was lying, based on an unintentional stutter.

BEST JOB LYING TO AN NBA BLOGGER: Alexander Martinez #14.

MOST PROLIFIC NBA BLOG: (This would be the one where we’re too honest.) NBA Fanhouse. We must say the same thing about Fanhouse that we said about NFL Fanhouse – it’s too much content to keep up with. Blogs are by nature in-and-out exercises, and when we see a big (15) in the feed reader, we can’t bring ourself to dive in.

Just a note to our beloved friends who are over there…and we do love you…you all seem a little watered down when away from your home bases. Is this intentional? Are you being held back in some way by the overlord Mottram?

BEST ANTI-LARRY HUGHES BLOG THAT JUST STARTED THIS MORNING: I Detest Larry Hughes. Larry makes a good point about the offense, though.

BEST BET TO BE A KICK-ASS NBA BLOG IN THE SECOND HALF: Again, we’d give this to ourself, but we have no guarantees there won’t be a string of days when we hiatusize, or even another block of time away altogether at some point. Plus, if the Cavs don’t bounce back, we may have to throw the computer away so as to decrease our exposure to them a bit.

So, since we can’t give to YAY, we give it to…Golden State of Mind. Why not – they’ve always been good to us.

That about wraps it up – let’s all enjoy the second half of the season.

Together.

(Except for you, NBA Fanhouse – you have too many posts to read.)

{ 2 trackbacks }

So yeah, we’re kind of awesome. | Detroit Bad Boys
January 29, 2007 at 3:29 pm
Snorting hydrocodone.
February 2, 2008 at 2:54 am

1 cavs_fireside_tradecentral January 29, 2007 at 1:28 pm

It’s OPEN SEASON again…

Practice for: “The Sunday Matinee”

2 Boney January 29, 2007 at 1:53 pm

“Instead, we turn our bright, beautiful, and overly honest eyes to the NBA blogosphere.”

Your “overly honest” eyes?

Tune those overly honest eyes in to the ass raping that will go down on Sunday. LeBron can jump over the rim all he wants, but if Larry Hughes is shooting 3-14, LeBron can jump as high as he wants but he won’t be winning for a 2nd Sunday in a row on his home court….

The Gund is like a college arena also, has anyone else noticed that? I’d rather sit in the stands at Cameron Indoor than go the shitty Gund… bring back the Richfield Coliseum…

3 The Cavalier January 29, 2007 at 2:00 pm

Boney it’s weird that you apparently don’t read anything I write, yet continue to leave comments about it.

GO PISTONS!

4 Miss Gossip January 29, 2007 at 2:06 pm

Damn baby, I’m not watered down am I? I don’t even have a home base anymore.

Jamie Mottram is hot.

5 Jamie Mottram January 29, 2007 at 3:00 pm

The first rule of FanHouse is – you do not cater to Yay’s feed reader. Thanks for the shot, though. We, like our beloved Gilbert before us, need the motivation.

6 ZAKK January 29, 2007 at 3:39 pm

I’ve often contemplated starting a blog, and someday earning a prestigious midseason blog award from YAY, but chances are people really don’t care what i have to say.
Then again, it hasn’t stopped you, Cavalier.

7 Miss Gossip January 29, 2007 at 3:46 pm

Jamie is so hot he doesn’t even acknowledge me.

8 The SP January 29, 2007 at 4:02 pm

LeBron has sickle cell anemia and doesn’t want to admit it…….I refuse to believe he can’t carry the Cavs anymore. Danny Ferry needs to realize that trades need to be made….I say Gooden, Z, and Shannon Brown to Memphis for PAU! and Eddie Jones or Larry and Gooden to Jersey for J Kidd and some random bench player. Do something.

9 becky January 29, 2007 at 4:06 pm

Hey buddy, I like the FanHouse.

10 zack k January 29, 2007 at 4:15 pm

no love for mavs moneyball… sad

11 Almost Everybody January 29, 2007 at 4:27 pm

Man am I glad I didn’t donate to the WSM fund.

12 The Cavalier January 29, 2007 at 5:43 pm

Ouch!

A few people know what’s up. That’s okay – I think it’d be cool if it could be marketed as “a year in the making…bum bum BUMMMMMMM”

13 Boney January 29, 2007 at 5:59 pm

I was going to donate to the WSM? fund until Cav posted during the playoffs last year how the Cavs went “philly” on the Pistons, and then later on during the series the Cavs put up a good showing with 68 points in an attempt to follow up their “going philly” with another afternoon of “philly” going…

I’m glad I didn’t donate as well… I stopped holding my breath a long time ago.

14 Lucas January 29, 2007 at 6:05 pm

I agree about the Fanhouse. They get paid per post so they’re like, “more news more posts = $.35″!!

Then again, its better than anything I can do.

15 The Cavalier January 29, 2007 at 6:05 pm

Awwww…

16 becky January 29, 2007 at 6:18 pm

Don’t worry, Cav, everyone will feel really silly once they are shaking their booties on the dance floor to “The Crepes.”

17 Ree January 29, 2007 at 6:28 pm

Good news Cav, you might be able to go back watchin the Cavaliers!
Lebron is sitting out a couple of games, soo those count as wins,no?

18 Ree January 29, 2007 at 6:30 pm

Good news Cav, you might be able to go back watchin the Cavaliers!
Lebron is sitting out a couple of games, soo those count as wins,no?
his toe? really? his toe? not a knee or an ankle or a wrist, but a toe???

19 ZAKK January 29, 2007 at 6:58 pm

The toe: it has doomed superstars before.
Well, actually he was just one superstar, Shaq, who was carrying about 350 pounds.
LeBron is carrying a whole TEAM, so his toe problem might be worse.

20 The Cavalier January 29, 2007 at 7:02 pm

It’s all very sad – I don’t even know when they play again.

21 Sean January 29, 2007 at 7:15 pm

Regarding NBA Fanhouse:

It’s quite an eyeful sometimes, but it’s worth it–great insights and vids (strangely enough, I prefer UnCut to YouTube) and jokes. You gotta keep up daily, though, or it just feels like mountains and mountains of paragraphs.

And I love how posts come at 1:27 a.m. sometimes, they keep me company at night.

22 Serena January 29, 2007 at 7:52 pm

That was AWESOME! You literally had me laughing. Of course, I shouldn’t get too excited since I’m the ONLY female that writes about the Bobcats! Or did I misread that and you meant just that a female writes the best blog on the Bobcats? Oh man, what a long day…thanks for the props!

23 Atma Brother #1 January 29, 2007 at 8:11 pm

On behalf of all the fellas on GSoM, thanks for the award!

Now we’re going to have to live up to the pressures of being the BEST BET TO BE A KICK-ASS NBA BLOG IN THE SECOND HALF. No small task as I’m sure you can imagine.

Stay up!

24 Boney January 29, 2007 at 8:43 pm

If you don’t like LeBron’s ouchy, I’m sure Isiah Thomas wouldn’t mind.

25 Guzzler January 29, 2007 at 8:58 pm

Thanks for the props dude. And I do detest Hughes immensely… But I don’t think I can just focus on him for the entire season. Snow may be my next target, but that’s like picking on the retarded kid

26 Sports Bog January 29, 2007 at 9:46 pm

I go back and forth on whether Gilbertology is actually a Gil joint. On the whole, I agree with you.

Also, I will send a poster to anyone who will agree to make me a runner-up for some award or another.

More importantly, Mister Mottram is hot??? I have to say, that never occurred to me.

27 The SP January 29, 2007 at 10:55 pm

Yaysports has got to be Boney’s favorite blog. He prolly doesn’t post this much on Detroit Bad Boys or Need 4 Sheed. Little bit of a man crush Boney?

28 jcm January 30, 2007 at 1:11 am

Gibson’s starting tomorrow? Snow’s benched? If that doesn’t prompt the Cav to take a peak, nothing wil.

29 cavs_fireside_tradecentral January 30, 2007 at 2:01 am

When LeBigToe says he’s going to take off the next few games and practices, he doesn’t mean Sunday vs. Detroit, does he? I figured there was no way that The Cavalier wouldn’t end the boycott for this one, but I’ll have to watch with both hands over eyes if that’s the case.

That would be a total drag. Of course, he might be looking to avoid the focus of embarassment in another undressing at “The Q”, in front of the national audience. I don’t know; just a guess. Now watch out for Chris Sherdian strolling into town and spreading Mike”He HATE Me” Brown rumors.

Please fill me in on the late breaking trade fantasies.
SPANK YOU VERY MUCH

30 cavs_fireside_tradecentral January 30, 2007 at 2:02 am

Please fill me in on the late breaking trade fantasies.
SPANK YOU VERY MUCH

31 Boney January 30, 2007 at 10:12 am

The SP,

I don’t have a man crush on The Cavalier. I enjoy reading this site. Actually, I do post a lot on DBB, not so much Need4Sheed.

You see the difference between here and DBB (a blog about a team just wins and doesn’t parade around a “superstar”), DBB keeps it real. They knew the Pistons might suffer a bit without Big Ben, so they kept it real. They didn’t fly off the handle with 58 win predictions for a team that hasn’t won 58 games ever (I don’t think). Even though coming off of a season where the team won 64 games and beat the Cavaliers in the playoffs, they still gave dap to the other teams in the division. Cavalier doesn’t like the Pistons just like I don’t like the Cavaliers.

It’s a love/hate thing brotha… I read his stuff, it’s funny. I even emailed him and told him since I didn’t have a blog (yet) that I’d still like to be in his league of roundie henchmen, and he laughed and said I was in. It’s all about love brotha… check the myspace, he’s the last “friend” of my favorite 24.

32 rogerl January 30, 2007 at 12:13 pm

58 win preseason prediction mid-season Cavs’ basketball strike = bipolar! This is basic blog arithmetic.

I show up for the manic highs and stay for the depressing lows.

33 rogerl January 30, 2007 at 12:30 pm

Hey it stole my plus sign!

58 win preseason prediction (plus sign was here) mid-season Cavs’ basketball strike = bipolar

34 The SP January 30, 2007 at 2:31 pm

Ok Boney now I see what’s up. I just thought you came to the site to just rain the hate parade all over the Cavs. Go Pistons!

35 Darvin Ham January 30, 2007 at 6:13 pm

THANKS YAY SPORTS!! OF course we are wondeirng why we didnt win “MOST Infectious Interns” award but we will take it!!!

We will be sending Sacheen Littlefeather and Ledell Littleneck to accept on our behalf!!!!

36 Unsilent Majority January 31, 2007 at 9:11 am

Mottram’s a damn troll…now what the fuck is Fanhaus?

37 dylan March 1, 2007 at 10:26 am

dirk is the best look at how his team is going me is the reason he is the best is the nba and u all know that

38 dylan March 1, 2007 at 10:27 am

dirk is the best look at how his team is going he is the reason he is the best is the nba and u all know