WTF?: Indiana Pacers

by The Cavalier on January 17, 2007 · 14 comments

We haven’t pulled out the old WTF in awhile, but if ever there was a time, it’s right now.

Indiana and Golden State just did a tradamajig, and here it be:

INDY GETS:
Troy Murphy
Mike Dunleavy
Ike Diogu
Keith McLeod

GSW GETS:
Al Harrington
Stephen Jackson
Sarunas Jasikevicius
Josh Powell

In reality, this probably makes neither team any better or worse by any great margin. Two average to below average teams remain just that. (Honestly, GSW will get better, but not good enough to make the Playoffs, so what’s the point?)

On a pure talent level? Indy gets robbed here, unless you’re still buying into the Mike Dunleavy myth. (And no, one good game last week doesn’t count.)

Golden State can now roll out a line-up of Baron Davis, Jason Richardson, Stephen Jackson, Al Harrington, and whoever plays center up there. While most people would look at this starting five and run away, it’s perfect for Don Nelson. (Especially that center!)

We’re waiting patiently for Jermaine O’Neal’s statement, which should be somewhere between “This is racist”, “Where’s my trade?”, and “Why doesn’t anyone respect us? Now I finally get it – we have Mike Dunleavy, Jr.” Oh, and also “My forehead remains large.”

Also big winners: Indianapolis area white-guy hairbrush sellers.

GO PISTONS!

(Cornrows (Pacers blog, yo) is simply happy to have change. Apparently any change will suffice, because they actually used the word “wow” and then capitalized it.)

1 Fios January 17, 2007 at 2:46 pm

This almost trumps my 1994 trade when I sent over one frosted blueberry Pop-Tart in exchange for one frosted strawberry Pop-Tart

2 Jack Cobra January 17, 2007 at 3:07 pm

And again Indy sends disgruntled players as far away as possible…I think Indy got the better of this deal if Dunleavy performs at all

3 Darryl Howerton January 17, 2007 at 3:14 pm

Warriors robbed the Pacers on this one. They got a good big man, and now they got 8 guards that would play a lot on other teams. Have no idea what they’re gonna do with em, but at least they got them. Plus, the Pacers are stuck with bad contracts for Murphy and Dunleavy which last another 4 years after this one. I have no idea what Indiana was thinking … Oh yeah–Don’t sleep on Andris Biedrins. He already is a Top 10 center in the NBA, and he’s only 20 years old.

4 Darryl Howerton January 17, 2007 at 3:38 pm

Wait. Nevermind. I feel like Gilda Radner on this one. I didn’t see Diogu’s name in the deal. It’s more breakeven than I thought. I like Ike.

5 Jack Cobra January 17, 2007 at 6:07 pm

Addition by subtraction for the Pacers. Just getting rid of Stephen Jax makes them better at the start. In the end they have a young Ike who plays hard when given minutes. While Murphy and Dunleavy, Jr. struggled with Golden State they may play better in an offense with more strict sets (much like their college programs). Plus, Murphy’s penchant for the outside will help offset O’Neal’s pounding of the rock inside. If Dunleavy can give them 14ppg and Murphy can give them 15-18ppg and 8-10rpg then Indy got a steal. The contracts aren’t bad because 1) they are young and 2) there are always teams that seem to want to trade no matter what the contract is.

6 alon January 17, 2007 at 6:26 pm

GSW fan checking in.

Here’s my initial reaction upon reading about this trade right here at Yay!

Believe me — the Warriors just unloaded a large pile of crap on the Pacers.

Dunleavey is just an awful all around basketball player. Bad shooter, ball handler, rebounder, defender. No instincts and no hussle. The guy just doesn’t belong, and I’m loving the Indiana people with their optimism. MDJ is pure crap (okay, he’s a good passer, but rarely shows it cause he can’t really dribble very effectively).

Murphy is slow and an overrated shooter. He recklessly crashes the boards, collects cheap rebounds and overall doesn’t have much of an offensive game (zero moves around the basket).

Ike is undersized and hasn’t shown a whole lot of touch in the few minutes he’s gotten the last two years. He can score around the basket in the same was Danny Fortson scores — kind of effective, kind of ugly to watch, and not very consistently. He’s a bad rebounder.

I haven’t quite come off this high to figure out who the W’s get back, but it doesn’t really matter. Okay, just checked — Al Harrington. I’m down with that. Haven’t followed Jackson’s schinanigans, but don’t really care right now.

And Biedrins is a legit center now, with tons of potential, at age of 20. W’s are going to go all the way in… I don’t know, maybe 2011?

7 alon January 17, 2007 at 6:27 pm

GSW fan checking in.

Here’s my initial reaction upon reading about this trade right here at Yay!

Believe me — the Warriors just unloaded a large pile of crap on the Pacers.

8 fulminating January 17, 2007 at 6:35 pm

sorry, but not knowing biedrins at C for GSW is a big whoops. the guy plays like an even more defensive minded kirilenko at 7′.

9 The Cavalier January 17, 2007 at 7:03 pm

Yeah, but the Warriors are on my teams I don’t like and also try to avoid. I’ve also vowed to know less things in 2007.

10 mercutioh January 18, 2007 at 6:00 am

i’m smelling an all teen wolf strategy……Chris Kaman is still available right?

11 Carlo January 18, 2007 at 6:40 am

So Harrington was good for Indi, hu?

I got ten bucks says the Pacers blow up the whole team after the season.

12 Boney January 18, 2007 at 9:13 pm

Charles Barkley said that Indiana is going to finish ahead of the Cavaliers, and that the Cavs need a PG and SG…

sounds exactly what I’ve been saying for almost a year.

13 The Cavalier January 18, 2007 at 10:47 pm

Less basketball analysis, more talk of Kwame vs Cake.

14 angelo January 19, 2007 at 5:14 am