Laker fans want Kevin Garnett

by The Cavalier on May 7, 2007 · 23 comments

***NOTE: Tuesday is a travel day – we’ll try to get something new up before the CLE-NJN game. (Which CLE will take by 15.)***

(After reading this over, we’d like to pretend we didn’t write this or PS that. Therefore…The Cavalier is on a brief, one-post hiatus. The following was not written by him, but he would be really embarrassed, and moreso, ashamed, if he had.)

Our favorite segment of fandom (after Boston fans in general) to watch with curiosity are Laker fans.

Why? Because their devotion is matched only by their delusion.

Case in point – their continued pursuit of Kevin Garnett, which some fans have taken to a whole new level by starting GetGarnett DOT COM. They describe it as follows:

We as fans would welcome KG with open arms. The opportunity of playing under Phil Jackson and alongside Kobe Bryant may appeal to Garnett himself. Beyond that, the fans would appreciate a player with so much passion. After all, the look on Kobe Bryant’s face of frustration and sadness from the game 2 blowout up in Phoenix could only be paralleled with one other player in the entire league. Kevin Garnett. We as fans have to push for the Lakers and Jerry Buss to look into pairing up what could be the deadliest one-two combo in the entire league. Will KG ask out? Can the Lakers pull it off? Kobe said it best, “do something, and do it now.”

There reference there is to something we didn’t have an opportunity to cover, and that’s Kobe Bryant’s newfound aggravation with the LAL organization.

He says they’ve been at “Ground Zero” for three years, and he’s had enough. That’s both fair and true, and while we could easily shoot off some references to “making own bed” and “sleeping in said bed”, it’s much easier to simply poke a stick at the people who think there’s any chance LA can get Kevin Garnett.

(As perfect a pairing as that may be – KG could finally be the #2 guy he would function best as. We digress.)

Anyway, there are much more realistic objects of your desire, LAL fans – for example, you could at the very least make the target of your desires a slightly more realistic Jermaine O’Neal. There are others out there for the taking with the meager trade assets you have – perhaps a Grade A Jerome James?

(Yes, we realize Andrew Bynum is actually a decent trade asset, as is Lamar Odom. That totally ruins our concept here, however.)

{ 3 trackbacks }

Anonymous
December 13, 2007 at 4:48 pm
Anonymous
December 19, 2007 at 7:44 am
Anonymous
April 2, 2008 at 6:52 pm

1 Boney May 7, 2007 at 9:19 am

Go FAUSTO CARMONA!

2 dave May 7, 2007 at 9:25 am

i think they’d be better off getting Jason Kidd. A playmaker like him with Kobe Bryant? Forget about it.

3 Maxwell May 7, 2007 at 9:28 am

What about KG as a #2… to Josh Howard?

4 Boney May 7, 2007 at 9:46 am

I hear Maurice Evans has value… if you think Cheik Samb is value

5 JONESONTHENBA May 7, 2007 at 2:10 pm

Ummm…Teams are Hot for Bynum (I don’t know why). The Lakers will come up with someone big this summer. If the Lakers get KG or a player like him, the Key is to get him without giving up Lamar. If they give up Odom and Bynum, they really aren’t getting any better…

And I’m with Maxwell, If I’m dallas, I’d do a Dirk for KG trade in a heartbeat.

6 The Cavalier May 7, 2007 at 3:40 pm

I agree – if they can make Odom the #3 guy on that team and fill in with some modern day Rick Fox types, they’ll be set. I don’t see the Timberwolves doing the Lakers any favors, though.

Indiana with Jermaine? I dunno…if they really think Bynum is the next great center, I guess…many Laker fans take the stance that other teams are obligated to help them get better.

7 TVBrain May 7, 2007 at 3:48 pm

That line on Fausto Carmona:
7 IP, 7H, 1R, 0ER 1BB, 2SO.
ERA now 2.97, under 2.00 as a starter.
Thanks for bringing him up on YAY, it always helps the Tribe hurlers when someone who has no idea what they’re talking about tries to get a dig in on a basketball blog.

8 Boney May 7, 2007 at 3:51 pm

if any sports are my wheelhouse, it’s baseball brotha…

9 JONESONTHENBA May 7, 2007 at 4:00 pm

The only thing about KG and J. O’neal is that both hold opt outs after next season. If they want to go and their teams don’t trade them now, they risk the chance of losing them with no compensation after the season. I think both of them will be moved at some point this summer…

10 The Cavalier May 7, 2007 at 5:26 pm

I agree they may be moved, I just think if Jermaine O’neal goes on the market, there are many better offers than what the Lakers have.

11 JONESONTHENBA May 7, 2007 at 5:46 pm

Cap Space, a first round pick, and Bynum ain’t bad…IMO

12 Boney May 8, 2007 at 8:35 am

might want to change your pick to Detroit in 5 brotha

13 Jordi May 8, 2007 at 1:41 pm

I’m so lonely. Oh so lonely. So lonely. So so so lonely.

I miss Jack Cobra.

14 jcm May 8, 2007 at 9:53 pm

You feeling the Cavs yet? That was fun. It actually felt like the playoffs.

15 John May 14, 2007 at 8:08 pm

Look the lakers with Kevin Garnett would be the best one two punch in the league because this combination is inside outside. You are talking about the Best player in the league in Kobe he is unstoppable but with KG the moster on the boards and the jumper that sizzles the net You have got to be kidding m no one will be able to gaurd that. itll be over if the lakers get KG and a stedy piont gaurd because Smusk Parker aint gonna cut it but with KG it will be unfair. And Hey Magic hows about helping the lakers out and trian Jordin Farmar the kids got potential!! Come on Magic!

16 Koomar June 4, 2007 at 12:38 pm

First off there’s “no other player” like Kevin Garnett he is a rare breed a guy willing to not score and rebound, assist, block shots, do steals and most importantly he is dying to play with a “BALL DOMINATING GUARD” he will battle for those offensive rebounds and make sure he puts that rock in the hands of Kobe, this two together will be bigger than Shaq and Kobe because Garnette knows that he will be # 2 on that team and that that’s Kobe’s team, if Lamar Odom and Vladimir Radmanovich are what it takes to get KG there let me tell you West Conference Finals appearence and depending on which other role players they get it’s Dinasty Lakers once again, Kobe and Garnett got at least five more years as dominating players and All-Stars, Jason Kid has at least one more year it would be a waste of resourses who ever they trade for him don’t get me wrong JK is awesome but he is tired and it showed in the playoffs. In simple math KB KG = multiple Championships (at least three).

17 Koomar June 4, 2007 at 12:40 pm

First off there’s “no other player” like Kevin Garnett he is a rare breed a guy willing to not score and rebound, assist, block shots, do steals and most importantly he is dying to play with a “BALL DOMINATING GUARD” he will battle for those offensive rebounds and make sure he puts that rock in the hands of Kobe, this two together will be bigger than Shaq and Kobe because Garnett knows that he will be # 2 on that team and that that’s Kobe’s team, if Lamar Odom and Vladimir Radmanovich are what it takes to get KG there let me tell you West Conference Finals appearence and depending on which other role players they get it’s Dinasty Lakers once again, Kobe and Garnett got at least five more years as dominating players and All-Stars, Jason Kid has at least one more year it would be a waste of resourses who ever they trade for him don’t get me wrong JK is awesome but he was tired and it showed in the playoffs. In simple math KB KG = multiple Championships (at least three).

18 doble boga pilipino pride July 31, 2007 at 9:26 am

Kobe and Garnett? damn that would be great

19 Updasyimmalia December 17, 2007 at 1:10 pm

I’d prefer reading in my native language, because my knowledge of your languange is no so well. But it was interesting! Look for some my links:

20 Vatican - Sede Vacante June 18, 2008 at 3:38 am

I must say – I am shocked ! Stunned. What happened Kobe? I mean really? What is going on? I expect a major move again this off season for the Lakers. Danny Ainge is really good GM.

Anyhow I hope they did not get tired on the Airflight, that is a LONG trip and you need all the rest in the NBA FINALS.

I am a Big NBA Fan, but I wanted a closer match-up. Poor Lakers. I guess the Refs could not cheat to force a Seventh Game because of the David Stern-Tim Donaghy Scandal? Any ESPN Insights on that one?

I also think perhaps, so it seems, that the Lakers wore “Sede Vacante” Caps or maybe I should (with Richard Williamson) call them”Mente vacante” Baseball hats? I mean really:

All I know the “Big Three” (Pierce, Garnett, Allen) went in “Extraordinary Form” to the Vatican in Rome, Italy before the season with Doc Rivers to find a Common Basketball Philosophy, I am not sure what happened there? Anyone know about the Vatican-Roma Camp the Celtics had? I know Kobe’s dad owns a team, I think in Milano? Maybe there is some special Latin Tridentine Mass Papal Ritual they attended to bless their Record Season?

Where were all the Hollywood Stars cheering on LA? I mean everyone loves to “jump on” the Hollywood Bandwagon, right? Like for example, Tom Cruise, Mel Gibson, Mike Huckabee, Chuck Norris, Timothy Henneberry, George Michael, Anthony Hopkins, Robert De Niro, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Don Johnson, Clarence Kelly, Michael Bishop, Marc Anthony, J Lo, Irving “Magic” Johnson, Matthew “The Valid” Parker, Sylvester Stallone, Jack Nicholson, Arnold Schwarzenegger, George W. Bush, Vince Young, Michael Vick, T.O., Lefty Cekada, Kenyan West, Britney Spears, Monsignor Georg Gänswein, Sean O’Malley, Bernard Law, John Kerry, Ted Kennedy, Barack Obama, John McCain, Tony Blair, Roger Federer, Tiger Woods, Guy Richie, Mon. Bernard Fellay SSPX, Tom Delay, Howard Stern, Tony Armani, Ronald Bryant, Sting, Jose Canseco Bono, Ronnie Brown, Al Gore, Santana, Dario Castrillon Hoyos, Richard Jamison, John Henry, Bill Gates, Donald Trump, Anthony Sanborn, Donald Rumsfeld, Solomon Rosenberg, Bob “The Center” Michael, Peter Marcel, Timmy Dimond, Al Michaels, Hulk Hogan, Karl “The Mailman” Malone, “The Worm” Dennis Rodman, James Lefebvre, Tony Romo, Jessica Simpson, Ric Flair, Bill Richardson, Vince McMahon, Joseph Ratzinger, Bob Kraft, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Eddie Murphy, Bobby Thuc, Tom Hanks, Shakira, Paula Abdul, Roberto Gonzalez, Colin Powell, Jerry Lawler, Howard Dean, Dick Cheney, Tony Garcia, Adam Sandler, Jerry Seinfeld, Bob Barker, Jerry Lewis, Regis Philbin, etc.?

I mean really, this was suppose to be the BIG TIME Lakers vs Celtics Rivalry FINALS, and I did not see many Hollywood Stars and other Celebrities at the Boston Garden there,why? Did David Stern and Senator Arlen Specter deny them invitations? Is Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens banned from NBA Games? And how about Sir Charles Barkley (Is he banned for Gambling on Games)? Or is it just traditional pro-forma to have to receive an “Universal Indult”, you know, to get into the Front Row Seats?

The crowd booed David Stern, is that Anti-Semitic? I felt weird.

Anyhow, Congrats to Paul Pierce (a LA Boy) — we all can cheer for him, he is a secret-Lakers fan, I heard from a certain unknown Rafa Erofadaps,

Shhh!

The NBA is Fantastic.

I can’t wait for the Olympic Games in China, I hope Kobe Bryant and Yo Ming play.

- Jason “Sede Vacante” McMichaels