Gilbert Arenas is teaching Kevin Durant

by The Cavalier on June 26, 2007 · 20 comments

While you’re busy scouring the internet for KG trade rumors, trying to figure out if KG-Kobe in LA actually works (Who plays C/PF?* PG? All the other positions?), reworking your mock drafts, and praying that the Celtics get Jermaine O’Neal for what they were willing to give up for KG, take a moment and watch Gilbert Arenas and Kevin Durant advertise NBA Live 08. (Thanks to Gilbertology.)

We like this. Kevin Durant is really skinny, though. We worry about him – not so much from the “will he be effective” angle, but from the “will he be Larry Hughes/Shaun Livingston” fragile angle.

*Remember, KG is not exactly a classic down-low presence on the offensive end.

{ 7 trackbacks }

Gilbert Arenas is teaching Kevin Durant | Sports news and rumors
June 26, 2007 at 11:10 am
Anonymous
December 11, 2007 at 9:43 pm
Anonymous
December 22, 2007 at 3:48 am
Anonymous
December 23, 2007 at 8:26 pm
On line doctors vicodine on line.
January 26, 2008 at 11:24 pm
Anonymous
March 23, 2008 at 10:11 pm
Anonymous
April 3, 2008 at 8:59 pm

1 Jack Cobra June 26, 2007 at 11:19 am

If they run the triangle offense the majority of the time this could work because they wouldn’t need Garnett to be a low post presence on the offensive end. He could still post up from time to time but he would mostly do what he did in Minny. Garnett doesn’t have a problem scoring the first three quarters of the game, it’s just the fourth when he punks out. That would be ok in LA where Kobe would want to coast for the first three quarters and then take over.

I believe, and I may be wrong, that the Lakers still have Chris Mihm under contract and he is expected to be back next season. He could slide over into the center spot vacated by Bynum, I guess. Really though they’d be going without a true center most of the time as Garnett, Mihm, Radmanovich, Turiaf, Kwame and Cook played the C/PF position(s). I have to think that the Lakers would be forced to resign Luke Walton just so someone would pass the ball from time to time, but he would play SF and probably off the bench with Maurice Evans starting. They’d have Farmar and Smush at PG for a lineup of:

PG – Farmar
SG – Bryant
SF – Evans/Walton
PF – Garnett
C – Mihm

I don’t think that’s scaring too many people in the West.

I haven’t read any Lakers websites either, so I could be waaay off.

2 The Cavalier June 26, 2007 at 11:34 am

Well if you read the Laker websites, they’ve already sealed up the 2008 title.

I know Smush won’t be back under any circumstances. Mihm is idealy off the bench, but he’s been hurt for two years anyway, so who knows.

I’d like this trade to happen as I think it’s a good story and will be something interesting for the NBA as a whole, but I’m not convinced it takes the Lakers out of the first round. Shaq/Kobe and a bunch of nothing is one thing, but this is really a bunch of nothing, and KG isn’t Shaq, either.

Rick Fox, Horry, Harper, etc is a whole different beast than Mihm, OLE Turiaf, Farmar, etc. Maybe if Farmar develops they’re decent, but Kobe and KG have to rest sometime, and I think you can count on the opposition gaining about +10 every time it happens.

3 Jack Cobra June 26, 2007 at 11:57 am

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Smush debacle. The Lakers would still hold the 19th pick in the draft from most of the trade rumors I’ve heard, so maybe they’ll take a backup PG there. They are obviously going to be a flawed team.

4 Fios June 26, 2007 at 12:08 pm

It’s entirely possible I am missing something but I’m not certain where you play Durant in the NBA. I don’t see the Oden/Durant debate as a murky issue in the least, I’d draft Oden first 100% of the time. I just wonder whether Durant might be the spectacular college player whose game doesn’t translate to the NBA type.

5 JTExperience June 26, 2007 at 12:26 pm

Durant translates to the NBA. Bet on that. I was courtside of his first-round NCAA tournament game…he has the smoothest game of anyone I’d ever seen. Anyone. Including at live NBA games.

That commercial is fantastic. There is another one also though, with KD driving past and dunking on Arenas. Gil’s like, “I didn’t teach you that!” It’s great.

6 Fios June 26, 2007 at 12:51 pm

I’m willing to believe you know his game better than I do, I’m not all that well versed in college basketball, my impression is based on a pretty small sample size. I still have doubts though, he just seems like a guy who could be taken out of his game given the size of NBA players. One more star in the NBA is fantastic as far as I am concerned but I’ll believe Durant can do it when I see it.

7 padraig June 26, 2007 at 2:19 pm

under the KG-to-LA scenario, wouldn’t the Lakers be best served by putting Turiaf in as a starter w/KG? I mean, Mihm is a couple inches taller, but Ronny’s pretty athletic, tenacious as hell on the glass and unlike most bigs he’s willing to bang and do dirty work. He doesn’t have much of an offensive game, but Garnett is super effective from the high post and he’s capable of scoring down low even if he’s not quite a Shaq/TD prescence on the block (but then again, who is? there are only like 10 or 12 bigs in the NBA who have effective, developed post games w/real moves). It’s kind of a moot point since the backcourt outside of Kobe would be beyond atrocious and neither Evans nor Walton is a starting 3, but I’d still take Turiaf over Mihm any day, and KG can play the 5 vs. pretty much anyone in the NBA these days until Oden (hopefully) comes into his own.

Actually, the best part of the scenario is if the Lakers do it and wind up drafting Crittenton. Awesome, a super-raw cat who can’t shoot or really, pass that well. But he dribbles a lot, and he’s 6’5″!

Either way, KG/Kobe/garbage seems like a roster locked into the following destiny; 53 win season, lose to the Jazz or somebody in the 2nd round of the playoffs, repeat as necessary. But it’d be hella entertaining.

8 Ben June 26, 2007 at 4:04 pm

As for that ‘classic down low presence’ remark, I think this hits the nail on the head on why Garnett hasn’t been as effective as Duncan. Garnett can do a lot of this really well but the post isn’t his strong suite (he remarked one time that he didn’t want to to college because they’d have made him a center).

It’s my opinion that if Garnett had some of those Tim Duncan boring post moves, he may have seen more playoff victories.

As for Smush Parker… its no coincidence that Parker started on the team that won 17 games the season before LeBron…

9 Boney June 26, 2007 at 4:09 pm

it’s not coincedence also that the Cavaliers won 17 games before LeBron came and had the #1 overall pick because:

they sucked

Smush played 16 minutes a game that season… you can’t hang the sorryness of the team on him. You can, however, blame whoever the GM was that drafted DaJuan Wagner and Darius Miles… If it wasn’t for Dajuan’s swollen vagina that cost him his career, CLE may have won more games in 2003.

10 TVBrain June 26, 2007 at 6:25 pm

The GM who drafted Darius Miles was not the Cavs GM, dumbass.

11 JTExperience June 26, 2007 at 6:59 pm

padraig is correct:

Ronny > Mihm,

and Kobe/KG/rubbish MIGHT make the 2nd round.

12 The Cavalier June 26, 2007 at 8:59 pm

Yeah our stupid GM traded Andre Miller for him!

13 TVBrain June 26, 2007 at 10:13 pm